Service with a smile...or not.

During the Olympic Games in Vancouver, I heard a few people (who will remain unnamed) question the sincerity of the politeness of Canadians. They seemed to believe that the niceness was something that was only being turned on at Games-time and that it could not possibly be maintained. Understandably, I was offended, but it got me thinking...are Canadians really that polite? And is this a characteristic that stands out to people? Or, like some of my work comrades, do people really feel that it is all an act?

I am writing this blog as Rob and I are en route from London to Leeds. We drove from Leeds to London last night to catch our flight to Halifax this morning. We woke up this morning, confident (perhaps naively so) that the airport would be busy, we would probably make a few duty free Christmas purchases, and that our flight would be delayed, but it would fly. So, as you can imagine, we were disappointed when we got to the airport to find out that the flight was cancelled.

The scene at the airport is something which can only really be understood if you have seen it - there were hundreds to thousands of people standing outside, boarding passes in hand. Each boarding pass is being checked, as only those with confirmed flights are allowed into the airport. The airport has set up large tents with heaters, where people can keep warm. They are also handing out those silver body heat control jackets which are often handed out to runners after marathons. With our flight being cancelled, we had to find somewhere else to perch. We went to the entrance of the tube station to devise our plan. Two hours later, with our fingers finally turning a light color purple we decided to make our way to the taxi stand - the plan to drive back to Leeds and then reassess from there. While walking to the taxi stand, I notice the Air Canada arrivals lounge. With my luggage decked out with my new Elite status luggage tags, I naively (once again!) go into the lounge to ask if we can use the Internet and warm-up a little...the answer was a simple no! The lounge is for arriving passengers and super elite members only. Let me emphasize the fact that there were four staff members at the door, plus the not-so-nice man at the counter, and absolutely no one else in the lounge. Not one person. I stood there in shock. Our flight has been cancelled and I have been told by Air Canada that I am going to get home for Christmas and this scrooge won't let Rob and I in. Aeroplan certainly left that detail out when they just send me the long list of rewards that I will get as a committed customer. First, it is Christmas - the holiday of giving and second of all, there are thousands of stranded travellers - would it really have been a big deal to let us use the Internet, have a hot drink and perhaps a piece of cheese and a cracker. I think not.

I truly believe (still naive perhaps...when will I learn?) that if we had been in Canada, especially in the notoriously friendly east coast, that the answer would have been yes, and we would have been given access to the lounge, and even more importantly, we would have had service with a smile. In fact a few years back a similar situation happened. I was scheduled to fly from Charlottetown, PEI to meet Rob and his parents before flying to the USA. The Island got a huge dump of snow, and flights were limited. An Air Canada employee spent ages getting me onto the only flight which as it turned out would be the only flight to leave the Island for the next few days and also arranged a hotel room for me in Toronto that night. She also managed to put me on the first flight to Calgary the next morning, and gave me just enough time to go home and pick-up my passport and get on the next flight to Phoenix. I admit that the situation is a bit different, but still...it was all done with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment