Madrid, it has been too long.

The last time I was in Madrid was fall of 2002. After graduating from University Robin and I decided to spend a few months travelling around Spain and Portugal. We started off in Barcelona, then went to Salamanca, San Sebastien, Bilbao and then Madrid. I must say that my first impression of Madrid was not a positive one. I guess that had much to do with my love for Barcelona, rather than my actual dislike for Madrid.

Fast forward nine years later (yes Robs, it has been nine years since we threw on our MEC backpacks for a few months of fun)...and I find myself in Madrid with Rob, Erika and Megha.

Mission one - book flights...when going for less than 24 hours the best option seems to be a reliable airline like Swiss. Don't get me wrong, they don't always run on time, but are certainly more reliable than Easy Jet (aka Easy Joke). Departure time - 7am on Saturday. Thankfully we didn't get up at 4.30am for nothing...our flight was on time. Rob and I each had a quick power nap on the flight and were bright eyed and bushy tailed (ok, perhaps I am exaggerating a little!) when we landed. We grabbed our carry ons, hoped in a taxi and were on our way to our hotel.

Finding a hotel was mission two...this was my assignment. My first stop use to always be Trip Advisor, but I must admit that I find the website, albeit full of information and some very honest reviews, overwhelming. My search usually starts with the New York Times Travel section. The site often includes a few featured hotels for each city and this is where we stumbled across Las Letras Hotel and Restaurant. The hotel, which is centrally located is on Av Gran Via and is minutes away from lots of shopping and various sites. The hotel lobby is simple with its worn in orange countertop. Your first taste of the hotel decor is as you step out of the lobby to the elevators, where you find the largest chinese lantern I have ever seen. The elevators are simple and live true to the boutique hotel feel, as the lighting is low and romantic.

We took a quick peak at the menu for the hotel bar and restaurant and went up to our room - we were pleasantly surprised to find out that our room was ready when we arrived at 10am. The hotel, which features hard wood floor, white walls and fabulous crown moulding is simple, yet inviting. The color of our room was a mustard yellow...this color will forever remind me of my mom. The bed was large and with white linen looked like it would be perfect for winter's nap (we would find out that night that the duvet wasn't quite as good as it looked!). The room included a small couch, a bar fridge, a flat screen tv and a desk. An added bonus, certainly in the eyes of Rob, was the free wireless internet. Our bathroom featured small white subway tiling from the floor to half way up the wall...the rest of the wall was painted burnt orange - it was lovely. Perhaps the nicest feature of the room were the 12 feet tall french doors which led to a balcony. Although the view was not amazing, I have always loved the idea of opening up large balcony doors to welcome in the fresh air and a blue sky.

Rob and I first headed out along Gran Via and then wound our way to Plaza de Sol where we met Megha and Erika. Erika, determined to see the "must see" sights had her map in hand. Enroute to the must sees we stumbled across, Mercado San Miguel, one of the best markets I have ever seen. I love the Mercat de la Boqueria in Barcelona, but unless you are there at the crack of dawn it is hard to navigate around the crowd of people. This market, beautifully decorated and well laid out also included a few communal tables to eat the market's best.

We bought a smoothie, and walked up and down the aisles thinking about our lunch menu. We agreed to go and see the Cathedral and Palace and to come back for iberian ham sandwiches in the early afternoon.



Even after lived in Europe for a few years now, I still find myself mezmerized by the architecture and the age of the buildings in cities like Madrid. I am always amazed and wonder how these structures were built at the time that they were. The Palace is beautiful, as is the Cathedral.

We walked for a bit longer and joined the tourists and locals for lunch in the market. The lunch menu included sandwiches, a couple of kinds of cheese (Roob...I think I may have found a great business idea for you....a cheese tasting bar!) and frozen yogurt. Delicious!


The approach to the afternoon was divide and conquer. Megha and Rob went in search of a local bar to do some spanish beer tasting and Erika and I set off to increase the amount of spanish fashion in our wardrobes. Erika's arms were quickly filled with Spanish bargains from Zara, Mango, and Stradivarius. I of course could not possibly go to Spain and not go to Uterque...the store never disappoints. I bought a pair of sunglasses and some fabulous socks. I also invested in a pair of impractical jeans...why is it that at the age of almost 31, I still enjoy having strategically placed holes in my jeans?! Uterque stores seem to be popping up everywhere now and I am convinced that it would do well in cities like New York, Chicago Toronto, etc. Perhaps that should be my next career move? North American expansion of Uterque?!

Ok, enough day dreaming...back to Madrid. We stopped in and picked up a few "sweets" at...and then walked back to our hotel for tapas and cava. For me, tapas can be hit or miss. Good tapas is amazing, while not so good tapas can be a disaster. We lucked out. Rob took charge and filled the table with munchies, all of which were yum. After our early evening snack we walked with Megha and Erika back to their hotel and then set on a tapas mission number two. The concierge at their hotel had suggested Lateral on Calle de Prado. While decor wise I was impressed, the food was disappointing. We finished off the night with bellinis, fresinis, and a knock off of fanta limon (much to the dismay of Erika and Rob!).

We were home in bed by midnight...the hour when most young spaniards are just deciding which club to go to first. Jorge - we promise to go to Capital the next time we are in town! http://www.hoteldelasletras.com/movies/inicio.htm

Thank you Madrid. My image of you has certainly changed (although Barca still sits at the top of my favorite cities list) and I hope to see you again soon!

http://www.nytimes.com/pages//index.html

http://www.hoteldelasletras.com/movies/inicio.htm

http://www.mercadodesanmiguel.es/

http://www.boqueria.info/

http://www.e-stradivarius.com/

http://www.uterque.es/

No comments:

Post a Comment