Long live brunch

Perhaps one of the traditions that i miss the most from home is brunch. During university, the girls and I would pile into Nat's truck and make the 15 minute drive to the Irving Big Stop in Aulac. The portions were always massive and our selections were admittedly usually unhealthy. My personal favourite was the homestyle club sandwich on whole wheat, with fries. This is the type of brunch that lives up to those assumptions that north american portions are always huge!

When living in Ottawa, we spent many a Sunday morning at either Eggspectations, or my personal favourite - Scone Witch. My Scone Witch brunch always consisted of the same thing, scrambled eggs with sauteed vegetables and goat cheese with a lemon poppyseed scone and jam. The food and the decor were both equally delicious. Their jam, which is made by Moss Berry Farm, is mouth watering. My personal favorite is rhubarb ginger and there is always just enough room in my suitcase (after I have packed red licorice and just right cereal!) for a couple of bottles. I will forewarn you, we have unfortunately had a few unsatisfactory customer experiences at Sconewitch, but the food is just so good that we keep going back!

Going out for brunch was unfortunately not a weekly tradition when we lived in Calgary, as I spent many mornings with my Running Room friends. We would at times grab a hot drink and a muffin following our frigid -40 runs. I guess none of us wanted to expose the local brunch place and their customers to 12 stinky and smelly runners! I did however get the chance to taste test a few brunch menus while in Calgary, including Nellie's, a Calgary hot spot! Their brunch menu was solid and included all of the staples - toast, eggs, home fries, bacon and sausage. Although cleanliness was certainly not its forte, there was always a line-up to get in!

My love for brunch was reignited this morning, when I had brunch with some friends in Zurich. Maison Blunt has it all. A former garage, the place has a fabulously funky decor, including antique wooden tables and teal dishes. Meals are served on large round silver platters. The menu, which includes everything from scrambled eggs, to salmon and lox and pancakes also serves Lebanese food. I opted for the oriental breakfast,which includes hummus, olives, a feta spread, great bread, fruit and yogurt and orange juice. It was divine. I also had their homemade lemonade and admired a chai tea that smelled and looked delicious. If I lived in Zurich, I would spend each and every Sunday morning at Maison Blunt!

This Zurich discovery has given me a new mission - I am determined to find a great brunch restaurant or two in Lausanne. I have heard good things about Cafe de Grancy, but have never been. Suggestions anyone?

Maison Blunt - www.maison-blunt.ch
Eggspectations - www.eggspectations.com
Cafe de Grancy - www.cafedegrancy.ch

No comments:

Post a Comment