Nod to Norway

I have always had a little something for Scandinavia. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that their climate is much like Canada’s and they like hockey. Or, perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I like a lot of Scandinavian fashion designers. Mostly though, I think it has something to do with the fact that it is the home of none other than Jo Juvet, otherwise known as JJ.

To celebrate JJ’s 30th birthday, the Lausanne family (minus a couple of its key members) boarded the plane for Oslo. The first thing on our list of things to do in Oslo was to make a pit stop at the duty free store at the airport. As we began our shopping extravaganza it became apparent that it was on the top of everyone's else list as well. We grabbed our red basket and filled it with liquor and Haribo candy - what else could one need or want for a weekend away?! Armed and ready, we hoped in the rental cars and made our way to downtown Oslo.

Our weekend accommodation included two great apartments in the city centre. We dropped off our bags and went in search of a midnight snack and a drink. We ended up having dinner at what I would call a corner store...although this corner store offered much more than the usual corner store in Canada, which tends to only sell hot dogs. Impressed by the look at of a certain chocolate bar, Rob and I settled on that for supper. Determined to show us the night life, JJ took us to this small little club not far from our apartment. We braved the prices and each ordered a night cap.

Saturday morning the boys took it upon themselves to buy groceries so that we could prepare brunch at home. The spread was impressive and thankfully included my morning ritual, cereal. While I had heard many positive reviews about Norwegian goat cheese, I had not had the chance to try it until then. Based on appearance and perhaps taste as well, the cheese reminds me of an extra large sized kraft caramel ( Mom, you know the ones that I mean, right?). The cheese is delicious and is a great reason to go back! After breakfast, JJ took us on a tour which included the waterfront, Akerhus fort, the opera house, Det kongelige slott and an excellent chai tea latte. Mid-afternoon, the girls and I ventured off for some retail therapy in Bogstadveien We went to one of my favourites first, By Malene Birger...just to dream a little. A couple of small purchases were made before we met the boys, who had found a little pub. Determined to spend as much time outside as possible, I passed on a drink and was convinced that I could find my way back to our apartment. Wanting to add to my treasured collection of scandinavian fashion, I made a few stops along the way, and I was successful.

I have always dreamed of owning a bakery. I am not a particular good baker, but I have always thought that I would enjoy owning a little bakery that sells fabulous breads, scones and cookies to hungry cliental. I had always thought that it would be a great little mother-daughter adventure, especially since my mom is a star baker! I am getting hungry just thinking about it!!! I have spent many a day dreaming about what this little bakery would look like, and it all came to life during our walk around Oslo on Saturday afternoon. The bakery, which is called United Bakeries is located in Karl Johan's gate. Between the chandelier light fixtures, the white tiles, the packaging, and the fabulous dark chocolate and coconut cookie that I ate in under 60 seconds, it was absolute perfection!

Saturday night was sort of like the the meeting of two families, as JJ introduced his Lausanne friends to his Norwegian friends. We had dinner at this fabulous spanish tapas restaurant called Dattera til Hagen. The decor is fun and fresh and the food was really good! It is most likely not in the Oslo tourist guide, which is perhaps one of the best reasons to go there. The restaurant, also turns into a bar a night, which is a bonus. I highly recommend it. If Jo had ever worried that his two groups of friends would not get along, his worries quickly dissipated. The night which involved an off-tune version of happy birthday, loads of drinks, a bright coloured hat, the "borrowing of a candle holder", countless photos and a late night pit stop at McDonald's was fantastic.

Speaking of family, on Sunday we had the great pleasure of spending an hour with Jo's parents. Slow to get up following the festivities of the night before, we pumped the tunes and made the picturesque drive from Oslo to Kongsvinger. JJ's parents house is idyllic and I think at one point or another we all considered purposely missing our flight that afternoon. It is always cool to see where people have grown up...to meet their family...and to see those old and often embarrassing school photos. Jo's parents had prepared this fabulous lunch, which covered their entire kitchen countertop.

Hopefully I have inspired at least one person to book a flight to Oslo. And if so, please follow JJ's now famous list of the items you must pack, money, warm sweater, jacket, money, shoes that can take some rain, money, and ice pick.

Norway, you certainly have my nod of approval!!

No comments:

Post a Comment